Web 2.0 Summer Fun

July 7, 2010

Thing 13: K12 Online Conference 2009

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 10:10 pm and

I was very excited about the prospect of attending a conference session in my pj’s and a cup of coffee.  After learning about Creative Commons in Thing 11, I chose to sit back and attend Matthew Needlemans session:   Steal this Preso!  Copyrights, Fair Use and Pirates in the Classroom!.  This session dealt with the “myths and realities of copyrights as they relate to multimedia projects in the classroom”.    He talked about creative commons, copyrights and fair use.  Having already learned a little about these three topics in Thing 11, I at least understood what he was talking about and had a good foundation for sitting in on his session.   He reiterated the fact that we all have to be responsible users of information in the digital world.  It will be by our examples that are students will learn how to understand what is involved in respecting peoples copyrighted material, whether it is a photo, image, video, song, text or whatever.    He also pointed out that it is good to start your search for  music, photos, etc. on copyright friendly sites.   I also took time to  read the link to  Copyrights in the Classroom by Nick Pernisco who continued the discussion on why it is important to protect copyrighted material and to be mindful of the material we use in the classroom and to use it “legally”.

After a quick break and refill on coffee I sat down to watch   Googlios: A 21st -Century Approach to Teaching, Learning, & Assessment by G. Alex Ambrose.  Once again, my K12 Learning class prepped me well for this class.  Mr. Ambrose talked about using Googlio:  the many google tools/sites available to build and organize your own online learning environment.   Google offers a multitude of FREE tools, such as creating your own website in 3 easy steps with Google Sites.  I am eager to look into more of what other apps Google has to offer and see where I can use them in the classroom.

In the Googlios: A 21st -Century Approach to Teaching, Learning, & Assessment session, Mr. Ambrose also reference two books, A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink where he talks about three trends that 21st Century learners must themselves about and The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman.   He talks about how the price of technology keeps coming down and we must embrace the 21st century workplace.  He talks about digital native, digital immigrants, digital refugees and digital aliens.  He describes them as:  Digital Natives – these are people who were born after the invention of the web, digital is their native language, they have never known a world without cellphones, laptops and the web. Digital Immigrants – these are the people with digital as their second language.  The go a good job of keeping up with technology and learning/using the web and its tools.  Then there are the Digital Refugees – these are the people who know about the digital revolution, but are not spending as much time and energy trying to keep up. And finally, there are the Digital Aliens – these are the people who don’t care at all about the digital world and chose not to be a part of it.  I was intrigued by the revised Blooms Taxonomy (revised 2001) and the new structure (remember -> understand -> apply -> analyze ->evaluate-> create).

He then talks about folios and brings up the idea that we need to have an e-portfolio/webfolio that we use to build and organize our own professional learning environment as well as our professional learning network on the web.

One critique I had of this session is that the audio was not very good and this made it difficult to follow his presentation.

I enjoyed attending the conference in my pj’s and plan to continue to look at other sessions and see what I can learn from them.

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.TrackBack URI